Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Word of the Week: Strappado

I haven't done one of these for ages so I thought I'd share "strappado", which I came across in the Oxford English Reference Dictionary when I was doing the Jumble Word puzzle in the paper this morning.
(Not cheating, just looking. Honest.)
I thought strappado might be the name of a Greek stew or some sort of fancy flamenco move but it turns out it's "a form of torture in which the victim is secured to a rope and made to fall from a height almost to the ground, then stopped with a jerk" (the dictionary doesn't say if the jerk should be someone you know but I'd be happy to share Mr Nasty Garden-Path Man if you can't find anyone).
The interesting thing is that strappado must be the forerunner of this:

As in, one day, torture; the next day...well, still torture if you ask me. Let's hope waterboarding doesn't catch on with the extreme sports set.
My word of the week was actually going to be "balls" in honour of my husband, who not only has them but used them to great advantage at Bunnings yesterday.
We both went to Bunnings a couple of weekends ago to buy one of those big patio heaters for our deck because the temperature out there hovers between "brass monkey" and "nithered" (now there's a good Yorkshire word) for all but four months of the year.
It was a bargain, this heater - reduced from $269 to $169.
Then my husband went back to Bunnings on Saturday to buy some phone cable and found that in the space of a week this patio heater had been marked down again, to $99.
He was spitting chips when he got home but seeing as the patio heater was still in its box, convinced me to help him Hunt for the Receipt.
I've used capital letters there because such is the chaos of our in-house filing system, it took three days to find the docket (it was on top of a stack of bricks in the shed - obvious really).
Anyway, long story short, my husband returned the patio heater to Bunnings and got a $169 refund from the lady at checkout number 1. Then he went and picked up another heater - exactly the same - took it through checkout number 2 and paid $99 for it.
I would never have had the guts to try this on and am still positively breathless with admiration. What a guy.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Good on you! I don't quite get it with these large stores who do this sort of thing, I mean how much profit do they make at $269 to begin with? And surely at $169 there is still money going in their pockets. Oh I forgot they buy these things by the container load.

Michele said...

Birgitta, we're going to leave it in the box for another week in case they reduce it to five bucks :)

Bilby P. Dalgyte said...

The joke "if he didn't have balls he wouldn't quite be your husband now would he?" is not really the most imaginative of jokes... but I'm sick so it's all I can think of.

Haha that's pretty ingenius :P Way to beat the system.

Bilby P. Dalgyte said...

Bunjie jumping looks like fun. Does that make me a masochist?

the fly in the web said...

We are always hovering between the'will it run out?' and 'I bet they'll reduce it next week'.
Makes for economical living.
We also play Hunt the Reciept. It is fine if we leave it in the first place it fell, but once moved we have to go through all our actions since buying the whatever it was, have a screaming match and then discover it in my handbag where I will have put it for safety having found it on the floor.
You could train archeologists on my handbag.

Michele said...

The heater will be losing its virginity tomorrow, as in removed from its box and fired up. We've had really strong winds the last couple of days - the windows are rattling as I type this - so we figure it's a good time to test its cut-out function (the flame is supposed to cut out if it's blown over, which means it won't burn through the plastic blinds and fall on the heads of passing children, pregnant women, puppies etc).

Patio Heaters said...

Nice post.........

Michele said...

Thank you...

Suzanne said...

Welcome back Michelle, you didn't get your 8 posts in the 8th month!!
Your hubbie is a genius. It's the sort of thing we all want to do, but don't have the guts.
I was down in Denmark last weekend, but it was a flying trip; no time to visit Albany. Maybe we'll catch up next time.
Suzanne
PS Did you see the lotto "magician" on TV? I'm very sceptical about that, when Illusionists can make a whole building disappear in front of your eyes, what he did would be easy. And all that guff about averaging peoples' numbers. They would all have to have picked either 1,2 or 3 for him to get the first number. No way Jose.

Michele said...

Hi Suzanne, haven't seen the Lotto magician but am expecting that after I've been to the newsagaent today I'll be as rich as Croesus. Next time you're coming down this way, put your email address in your comment and I'll get in touch(no-one but me will see it - I'll delete it, not publish it).

Suzanne said...

Will do
Suzanne

DD's Diary said...

Do you think I could borrow your husband the next time this happens to me?? You could probably make a fortune hiring him out .....

Michele said...

Well, if you can stump up the airfare...

Strappado said...

STRAPPADO!