Monday, July 20, 2009

From the Crypt


There's a box down in the shed that's stuffed full of newspaper clippings - almost every column I wrote for The West Australian since I began in the late 80s.
Some of these were included in the two books I had published and I hadn't thought about them for years until I was stopped in my tracks by an episode of Murder She Wrote on Foxtel's TV1 channel.
It was an episode that inspired a column that was written, oh, it must be 17 years ago now and it made me think it might be fun to drag out an occasional oldie and run it here.
(I should add that I can't post anything of mine published between 2004 and 2009 because The West owns the copyright and would shit on me from a great height BUT all of the columns written before that are owned by me and good to go.)
Anyway, here it is, the first instalment From the Crypt - living proof that (1) pay-TV has no shame when it comes to endless re-runs and (2) cop shows really haven't changed that much over the years.

I WAS lying in front of the fire watching Murder She Wrote and all of a sudden this guy said, "I always wanted to be a carp. My daddy was a carp, God rest his soul, and when I was a kid he always let me polish that silver badge of his..."
It made me realise you need to have extraordinary abilities to get into American cop shows, as opposed to British cop shows like The Bill where all you really need are sturdy shoes and the ability to memorise three lines: "PC39 reporting for duty, sir", "Give us a break, Sarge" and "Right, mate, you're nicked."
American cop shows, on the other hand, require a multitude of talents. For starters you have to be totally incapable of getting on with your boss so that he can:
1. Take you off the case (but you do it anyway)
2. Suspend you from duty (but you do it anyway)
3. Give you till noon on Toozday to solve three murders and cure your partner of the death wish that is threatening his otherwise promising career, this death wish having been brought about by the violent demise of partner's wife/childhood sweetheart/handicapped child at the hands of a black crack dealer who drives a white Mercedes.
Not that it's essential you have a male partner with a death wish. You could just as easily have a female who's wet behind the ears. This female will have replaced the partner who retired after 47 years on the beat and who has been married to the same woman for 45 of them.
Your ex-partner and his wife will retire to Florida, be gunned down on a golf course by a black crack dealer driving a white Mercedes and wet female will help solve the crime, proving she's got what it takes after all.
You will also need to have an ex-wife so you can go to her apartment to visit your two cute children who will throw their arms around your neck and shout, "Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!" every time you walk through the door.
This wife has to be "ex" because then you can visit your mother and say things like, "Jeez, Ma" when she serves you up enormous home-cooked meals. These meals are necessary because your diet consists entirely of doughnuts and Danish washed down with cawfee that comes in a polystyrene cup.
What's more, you will eat only when you're sitting behind the wheel of a car, preferably one that's parked alongside a broken fire hydrant that's squirting water all over a Puerto Rican couple having a domestic on the sidewalk. Then you can leap out mid-bite, throwing doughnut roughly to one side while you pull out your gun.
And why anyone would want to go through all that just to be a carp, I have no idea.
Far easier, I think, to lie in front of the fire like a stunned mullet and wonder at the meaning of it all.

18 comments:

Suzanne said...

Michelle, did you also write for the Daily News? I'm sure I was reading you more than 20 years ago. Then again, maybe not.
Suzanne

Michele said...

No, didn't write for the Daily News - started out at the Western Mail writing stories for the real estate liftout. This was when we were all drowning in a sea of timber-capped dwarf walls and salmon pink colour schemes on the home front. I actually kept on doing the real estate for ages while I was also writing columns.

Unknown said...

Second book? I missed it. what was it and when and can I lay my hands on a copy? Chocolate Nipples is still in one piece, just a bit curly at the edges.
Please do more of these, they do put a smile on ones dial.

Michele said...

Birgitta, it was called From Maternity to Here and it's now out of print (it was published in 1994).

the fly in the web said...

Did Taggart ever get to Australian TV?

Unknown said...

will have to try and hunt down one somewhere like second hand or ebay. Wonder which planet i was on?

Michele said...

Gail and Birgitta: They were collections of columns and to be honest I think you've got Buckley's of finding them now.
Fly: I think every British cop show ever made (including Taggart) has been shown over here and I'm a fan of all of them except for The Bill, which for some reason irritates the hell out of me.

Bilby P. Dalgyte said...

Just for once you'd like to turn on the TV and someone goes "You're off the case!" and the cop replies "Dammit! Now I can't do what I want... that's it I'm going home!" So they do and their wife greets them and goes "How was your day honey?"
"Sucked. I'm off the case."
"The one to do with your best friend being murdered?"
"Yeah."
"Well that sucks. Here, have this low calorie soup I cooked you."
And then the case is solved by someone else. The end.

I think it'd break viewing records and be more popular that final of Master Chef.

Michele said...

lol, roll on the day. Speaking of Master Chef, I didn't watch any of it. From what I've read in the paper I must be the only one who didn't.

Unknown said...

you are right michele, have buckleys in getting ones hand on From Maternity to Here. Spent a bit of time on the net looking, no luck.

Suzanne said...

I watched a few minutes, and found it totally BORING. I must admit I watched the final 20 minutes or so, just to see who won.
Suzanne

Anonymous said...

Michele, no, you weren't the only one, I pride myself on never having watched an episode either, though everyone we go, everyone raves about it.....it's not true you know, like all reality shows, they are contrived and manipulated and can't stand ém.= On the contrary, "Yes Minister", in my opinion WAS true :-)

Davinia said...

I also didn't watch any of it until the last episode. For someone who loathes cooking as much as I do it was the last thing I felt like watching. Watching Re-runs of Miami Vice and eating donuts and drinking cawfee would have been much more entertaining.

Michele said...

Y'know, I'm practically on an intravenous drip to the Lifestyle and Food channels on Foxtel but even I have my limits. I'm glad I'm not the only one who gave Master Chef a miss.

Unknown said...

Missed your second book but loved the Xmas Cake recipe from Chocolate Nipples. I recall going into the bookshop to buy it when it was first released after hearing you when you where on brekky radio. When I couldn't find it, I asked the pretty blonde shop assistant if they had it in stock only to be pointed to the Cook Book section. After I stopped laughing I said it wasn't a cookbook as such and continued on looking for it. Yes, I still have that copy and still get a laugh out of it. To those looking for it, try the second hand bookstops or even the Op shops. Sorry Michelle. Maybe you could get them republished. Love your wit!

Denise said...

I am a proud owner of both of your books, Michele, including an autographed copy of Maternity to Here - I revisit them often, still relevant and still very funny. And I am also a non-watcher of Master Chef...could the ratings have been manipulated???

Michele said...

Warrs, that Christmas cake recipe wasn't mine (it's been around for years) but it still makes me laugh out loud. When Chocolate Nipples was published, the advertising manager at The West wouldn't let it be advertised up the front of the paper because he thought the title was too crude. All the ads were put in the sports pages (apparently sports fans are better placed to cope with crudity). It still sold out in the first three days and there were two more print runs (just a bit of showing off here...)
Denise, I'm glad you're still enjoying the books. As for TV ratings, I think it was ever thus. I've never believed them.

Unknown said...

Guess what? I found a copy of From Maternity to Here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Found it at last on ebay. It looks like it has never been read.