Thursday, June 4, 2009

A girl's best friend


Bugger diamonds. The value of a bolster, hammer and cold chisel is incalcuable when you're removing tiles designed to withstand an engagement with the Pacific fleet.
These tiles are everywhere, even on the window sills, in varying (marbled) tones of lemon, pale blue, beige and pale grey.
Back in the 60s people were apparently so confident that any survivors of the apocalypse would be interested in checking out their home-decorating flair, they attached these tiles with stuff that was designed to outlast man himself.
I was told by a procession of helpful blokes who walked through the kitchen that the best way to get them off the walls was with a mini jackhammer.
And they were probably right, but seeing as I'm the sort who gets nervous pushing spuds down the feedtube of the food processor I decided against it.
I've never been good with things that combine an electrical current with movement on a major scale, and blood mixed with cement dust has never been my idea of a fun day in, especially when the blood belongs to me.
Plus, the guy who did our bathroom reno removed the tiles with a mini jackhammer and not only were the dust and noise a major pain, it wasn't much quicker than doing it by hand.

Above is a pic of some of the work I did yesterday. Gorgeous kitchen, eh?
On the upside, the hammering scared the crap out of the mice. They've all scarpered.
And in case you're wondering (believe me, many people do) why we took this on, here are a couple of pics of what we can see now we've put up a deck (if you click on them you'll get bigger pictures).


It may be hard work but when all's said and done, it's like having your own little slice of heaven.

12 comments:

Suzanne said...

Michelle, I'd live in a tent for those views!
Suzanne

Davinia said...

A girls best friend is a bloke that will do all that work. Stunning views.

Denise said...

Oh Michelle, absolutely beautiful! I live about 200m short of an ocean view in Hillarys and so on my way home, I always go past my street so I can have my little ocean fix - I never tire of that vista.

Bilby P. Dalgyte said...

I love what you've done to your kitchen :) Very retro. It's going backwards to the point when kitchens didn't have tiles or anything interesting at all.

Retro.

Michele said...

Suzanne: You wouldn't need to live in a tent - house prices down here are really cheap and there's an amazing view round every corner.
Dee: I don't suppose you've got one spare have you? Mine works full-time so i only get to order him around on weekends.
Denise: I know what you mean. I drive round Mt Clarence at least twice a week to get my ocean-and-island fix. I can't get over how blase some of the locals are when it comes views down here. Been looking at them for too long I guess.
Bilby: I think the term you're looking for is borderline mediaeval.

Gail Coleman said...

Been there, done that - in the bathroom. Don't want to go there again.
I am insanely jealous of those views. Albany is the one place in WA that I would love to live, and I still think it should have been the state capital.

Michele said...

I'm just having a cup ot tea after half filling a skip with rubble that's been hanging around for weeks. I actually enjoy doing this sort of stuff (which is a good thing, considering). Gail, it's great down here. You should move down if you get the chance.

Unknown said...

Love the views, definitely worth the work. Love it love it.
somehow blokes think a jackhammer is the answer to all things that need removing, however sometimes they leave rather large holes, and the noise. having used one i don't recommend it unless you don't mind your body shaking and feeling numb for a few hours after. i prefer your choice of tools.

Suzanne said...

I'd love to move down there - the only thing stopping me is a husband who wants to live up here (Lancelin area). My parents live in Denmark, and I love the time spent down there with them.
Suzanne

Unknown said...

Had a disastrous week, hot water system died on sunday, service people wanted $100 to come out and tell me it couldn't be fixed (go figure), then everyone tells me they could fit a new one in a week (could have been a bit smelly). Found a plumber to supply and install new gas instantaneous system the next day!(almost had to sell the dog to pay for it) Yay we were happy. then discover that there is a leak in a pipe somewhere and it would cost $280 find out where (am determined to find the leak myself). Then the power bill arrives, nearly had a heart attack, in two months the old system used like $200. So i think that when i find this leaking pipe its reno time, what joy! Needless to say am enjoying a glass of red, may not be able to afford it after this week.

Michele said...

Birgitta, I feel for you, what a bloody awful week.
We went through the death of a hot water system not long ago - $1200 for a new one.
Hope you managed to get a whole bottle of red down your throat - sounds like a glass might not be enough.

Unknown said...

Yep managed a whole bottle, one glass definitely wasn't enough.
Haven't looked for the leaky pipe have been too busy with study, have 2 x 3000 word assignments to get done first. Main thing is we have hot water.