Monday, June 15, 2009

Sale of the Century


Well, not quite but a Booktopia book sale is always good and the one they've got on at the moment (their end of financial year sale) is a ripper.
You'll have to wade through 41 pages to check out all the specials but it's worth it if you want to get your hands on things like Peter Robinson's Inspector Banks novels for around $5.
There's all sorts up for grabs but I know from past experience that you have to be quick - they sell out fairly quickly.
Postage is $6.50 for up to 100 books, their service is great and the books are usually delivered within a week (they're based in Sydney).
And I know I sound like a walking advert so I should probably point out that I have no connection with Booktopia other than being a customer.
We're a family of mega readers - we have books coming out of our earholes - and I've been meaning to blog about good internet bookshops for ages.
A really fabulous one is Book Depository, which is based in the UK and not only has a list and prices that rival Amazon but also has free delivery worldwide.
Again, the books are usually on your doorstep within a week and the service is excellent.
You can get bucketloads of hardback titles at Book Depository for about half the price you pay in Australia (it will vary according to the exchange rate) and you don't have to worry about the weight because the postage is free.
I managed to get Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes for about $30; it was selling for more than $60 in bookshops here (they have a massive range of cookbooks as well as house and garden, craft, photography, art - you name it).
There are links to both websites just to the right of this post (under Places I Like To Visit).
If you're a booklover, believe me, you'll be like a pig in the proverbial.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You mean "happy as a pig in mud"? can't wait to look the sites up.

Suzanne said...

Yes! I understand bookaholic. I've discovered a book exchange, which saves me lots, and also A&R often have tables of books out cheap. You need to read the blurb on the back, and sometimes I've given up on purchases, but mostly I enjoy what I read. Then I take them to the book exchange and get a credit for their books!
Suzanne

Bilby P. Dalgyte said...

Oh books. Have to check that out sometime.

Gail Coleman said...

How fabulous are you? I went onto the Book Depository site and found 2 books by my favourite author (Nelson DeMille) that I didn't have and picked them up for a song. Keep the tips coming.

Michele said...

The Book Depository site is the absolute best I reckon - has a great back catalogue. It's also good for sending prezzies to people overseas because of the no postage thing. It certainly beats the crap out of Borders. I went in there the last time I was in Perth and they've upped the price of new-release paperbacks to $36.99 - daylight robbery. Another goodie online is Social Club Books (www.scb.com.au). It doesn't have a massive choice but there are some real bargains.