Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Up the garden path (2)


Back in May we asked a bloke to come over and quote a price for laying the garden paths around the house.
This man, who I'll call Mr Can-Do, was very friendly. All over us like a rash, truth be told. Nothing was too much trouble, he could do everything from go to whoa.
The price he quoted for the job was amazing, almost too good to be true. We accepted straight away and, yes, he could start some time in June and, yes, he'd put the quote in writing and leave it in our mailbox the next time he drove past.
He never did give us that written quotation, even though we asked him twice, but this didn't bother us too much because, for some reason, a lot of tradesmen down here won't.
Besides, Mr Can-Do was a nice bloke, wasn't he? Friendly. Trustworthy.
As it turned out, Mr Can-Do didn't start in June. We were also having the house rendered and he agreed with our renderer that it would be better to lay the paths after the rendering was finished. Just ring when you're ready for me to start, he said. What a guy.
So, once the rendering was done - brilliantly, I might add, by a lovely bloke called David Cook - I rang Mr Can-Do and left a message on his phone.
When he didn't ring back after a few days, my husband called again.
And what my husband got this time was a very different bloke. A bloke who was rude and surly and whose conversation consisted of words like "nah" and "dunno" and "maybe".
Now, we're not idiots. After that phone conversation, even Blind Freddy could see that Mr Can-Do had lots of other work and didn't want to lay our garden paths any more. But we decided not to worry about it until after the weekend because, well, sometimes you just get sick of this shit and need to stick your head in the sand for a while.
Then, lo and behold, on Saturday, in the middle of the footy, there was a knock on the door and there he was, in the flesh. He thought he'd better have a look round, he said, before he started the job.
He was friendly again, talking in words of more than two syllables but, unfortunately, he'd morphed into Mr Can't-Do.
There was a lot more work than he'd originally thought when he gave the quote, he said. Before he could start we'd have to do all sorts of things: dig up and redistribute the clay and have compacting sand delivered and put it on the paths and compact it and remove a section of fence and dig up heaps of plants so the barrow could get through because he wasn't having his blokes pushing barrows uphill.
Now, my husband works five days a week, so on Monday he rang Mr Can't-Do and asked if we could pay extra to have some of his labourers do this unforeseen prep work.
"Nah, can't help ya, too busy."
Did he know of anyone else we could pay, then?
"Nah."
It was like dealing with Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Then, lo and behold, we got a call Monday afternoon saying his two labourers would be coming over the next morning - as in, yesterday morning.
So I arranged for the sand to be dumped in the driveway by 9am and dug up the plants and put them in pots and got money out of the bank to pay these two blokes direct.
My husband got up at six yesterday morning to finish things off and the two labourers turned up at quarter past eight.
My husband showed them what we wanted done, then headed off to work, and the two labourers drove off to pick up their tools.
And they never came back.
I waited and waited and waited. The sand was delivered. I waited some more.
In the end, because I had to go out, I rang Mr Can't-Do at 10am to see what was going on. This was the conversation.
Me: Hi, it's Michele. Your two blokes left to pick up their tools at 8.30 and haven't come back. I have to go out and I was wondering what was happening.
Him: Dunno.
Me: Do you know if they picked up their stuff.
Him: Yeah, they got it.
Me: Well, they haven't come back here. Do you have a mobile number for them?
Him: Yeah, hang on. (Pause 10 seconds). Look, I'll have to ring you back.
Me: OK. My number's...
Him (interrupting): Listen, I'm on the road. I don't need this. I'm too busy for this.
Me: Yeah, well, we're all busy. It's not just you.
Him (shouting): Don't you get uppity with me.
Me: I'm not, I'm upset they haven't come back. You'd be upset too if you were treated like this.
Him (shouting louder): Shut up. Just shut up and listen.
Me (shouting back): What? Don't you...
Him (screaming over the top of me): I don't have to put up with this. You can shove the job. I don't need your money.
And then he hung up.
When my husband found out, he phoned this prick and said things to him that could never be printed here.
And that's what Mr Can't-Do wanted all along because now he'll be able to tell whoever's interested what nasty, difficult people we are. He'll be able to justify not doing the job for us.
But only to himself. Everyone I've told about this (everyone I can think of, basically) thinks he's an arsehole who didn't have the balls to say, "Look, I agreed to do this job when I had no other work but now I've got lots and I'm pulling out."
Which is why this post is headed "Up the garden path (2)". If you look at the post below you might see some similarities.
Footnote: we now know that if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. And if you've got this far, congratulations and a big thank you for bearing with me. I really needed to get it off my chest.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooohh Michelle, its not fair that you have to put up with that crap. This bloke is certainly an asshole and lots of other things. I do have to wonder as to the reason for his behaviour, what drugs does he take to be nice and which ones for being a nasty little prick? As for his two labourers they are certainly no better. His behaviour and language is certainly aggressive and abusive, I do hope he gets is just desserts.
Maybe i could use the techniques on him as well, it would certainly stop him in his tracks for a long time.

the fly in the web said...

Same syndrome as here in France

'The English don't pay'

Well, damn right they don't when the job is left half done and the guy is there on your doorstep threatening all hell if you don't cough up immediately.

The French artisan doesn't realise that we've all been trained on the tarmac gangs in the U.K.

Bilby P. Dalgyte said...

Perhaps he IS the same guy in disguise!? Maybe he's bipolar... maybe... he's a Russian spy sent to mess with people and pose as a worker. Perhaps he is actually two immigrant midgets from Ukraine who take turns being on each other's shoulders and one is angry and one is nice and kind. (They left their relatives like Dopey and Doc back in Ukraine because they hadn't the money to bring them too) Did he always wear large flowing coats around and never show his torso clearly?

I could go on and on and my theories could get worse and worse... or I could give up now and say "there there, it's OK... you'll get the job done sometime". When we wanted the bathroom to be done we hired a friend of the family who was a plumber. So basically you need to stalk some bars to find suitable men who can do your fences and pave your gardens.

Simple.

Michele said...

Stalking someone in a long, flowing coat would be half-way romantic but the reality is bum cracks and beanies so I think I might pass. We've had a bloke like Mr Can-Do before - same personality, switching between super-friendly and really nasty. He did the terracing up the top of the block - a massive amount of work. He ended up doing a really good job but it was taking a lot longer than he bargained for and he spent the last month trying to get out of the work. He used to get so angry his hands would shake. I dreaded him turning up. We'd paid him a cash deposit up-front but, like Fly, wouldn't pay him the rest until he finished and that was the only way we got the job done.

Suzanne said...

Michelle, I'm glad your blog helped you back to some sort of normality. Things like that can really get you down. I'm visiting my parents in Denmark around Father's day, so maybe we can visit the Albany capuccino strip while I'm down there. A lovely capuccino with thick froth, and some really decadent cake always makes me feel better.

Michele said...

That sounds like a very nice idea - I must get an e-mail address for the blog so we can get it organised. I'm feeling heaps better today. I followed the lead of Fa in Nancy Mitford's Love in a Cold Climate and wrote the guy's name on a piece of paper and put it in my desk drawer :)

Unknown said...

glad you are feeling better. Long time ago I was advised to write down stuff and it does help. I used to keep it and read it and then burn it.

Michele said...

Thanks Birgitta. I still wish I knew where he lived, though, then I could arrange for the three cubic metres of sand sitting in our driveway to be dumped on his front lawn.

Gail Coleman said...

this sounds like a paint job I was going to have done. got the quote and accepted it, waited for the boys to arrive. when they did all I got was them telling me they couldn't do the job in the time or money quoted. they then proceeded to my bedroom (shutting the door on me) to have a bit of a meeting. by this time I'd had enough so I barged in and told them to f...k off and don't come back. fortunately we received our deposit back but still haven't had the place painted.

Unknown said...

how about a voodoo doll?

Paul said...

Perhaps try getting in touch with the Department of Employment and Consumer Protection. All these professions are governed by boards and he's surely breaching some section! I imagine the webpage would be something like www.docep.wa.gov.au, or something.

Michele said...

gail, why am I not surprised? We had a similar experience with painters in Perth who started the job but ended up taking a month off to finish other work. I had to do half of it myself.

Michele said...

Birgitta, I'm melting candles as I write :)
Paul: bloody good idea, I'll get on to it on Monday.

JudiJ said...

Hey Michelle, you should name and shame. Us locals (well, Denmark) need to avoid him.

Meanwhile to cheer you up, have you seen this blog. One of my very favourites, and I suspect that its blackness will appeal to you too.
http://myfirstdictionary.blogspot.com/

Michele said...

Judi, you're right - his name's Brad Smith. And thanks for the link to My First Dictionary, it's very, very funny. I'll post the address on the blog so people who don't read these comments don't miss out.

Anonymous said...

I'm a fan of the Ex-Lax cake.

Ice it with Ex-Lax chocolate and tell him that it's all for him to show that there's no hard feelings.

GG