Wednesday, April 8, 2009

35 years and what do you get?


It was our 35th wedding anniversary on the weekend. The big question in the weeks leading up to it was how to mark 35 years that have encompassed just about everything you can think of, including good times and bad times, happy and sad times, two great kids, two dogs, seven cats, 14 different houses and lots of love.
For the last two big-ticket anniversaries, which were Silver and Pearl (sounds like two hippie sisters, doesn't it?), we went to Melbourne and stayed at the Hilton.
This time we had to be a bit more circumspect because our house still needs some work.
I say "some" but what I mean is "lots of". The 1965 kitchen still has to be replaced, the floors need to be sanded and sealed, the outside walls need to be rendered because the mortar is falling out, we need plastic blinds for the deck we had built (the prevailing winds up here on the hill are westerly, easterly, southerly AND northerly), and the 1960s decorative concrete-block boundary wall (does this get better and better or what?) needs to be knocked down and replaced with a fence.
A word on kitchens: if you need to be cured of the retro decorating bug, come and visit me. I have a kitchen overflowing with original 60s laminex - white with curly, silvery fibres all the way through it. It looks like a busload of senior cits decided to stop off at the laminex factory and trim their pubes.
Back to the wedding anniversary: we discovered on the internet that your 35th is Coral (Silver and Pearl's mum, presumably).
I was stunned, I can tell you. 35 YEARS AND ALL YOU GET IS DEAD REEF?? What were we supposed to buy each other? An aquarium?
My husband offered to buy me a DVD of The Battle of the Coral Sea. I declined, which was good, because it forced us to sit down and work out what we'd really like.
Which turned out to be decent ugg boots. Seriously.
Having never paid more than 20 bucks for a pair (good ol' Kmart), we decided we'd lash out on the super-duper versions they sell at Wombat Lodge down here.
Romantic? Maybe not. But we'll know in our hearts that when the renovations are finished and all our money is gone and we're freezing our tits off because we can't afford to turn on the heater, at least our feet will be nice and warm.

13 comments:

Davinia said...

Congratulations on 35 years of wedded bliss. O.K. coral, there's coral trout, how about a nice seafood feast. You think they would have changed that by now, coral not being exactly the most eco friendly thing to be giving out. I think uggies are a good choice, mind you since menopause I wear sandals all year round.

Michele said...

Dee, move to Albany - you'll rarely wear sandals again.
We actually did have a feast at the Wild Duck restaurant down here (fabulous place), plus I had 13 Roses chocolates for lunch.

richie said...

It would have been my 36th next month but doesn't want much, half of everthing including the money from my late mothers estate that hit the bank just before my wife hit the road.

Best wishes for yours.

Richie

Michele said...

Richie, that's a rotten thing to happen. Thanks for your best wishes.

Bilby P. Dalgyte said...

Whoa 35 years that's like... A long time or something! (Dude like whoa...)

Seven cats? One after the other right? That or you're a crazy cat lady (with a dog. Hey you know it had to happen somewhere in the world aren't you glad it's you? Cat-dog lady! Blogging it up on the intertube.)

Who comes up with these ideas for what is officially what you get on annivesaries? This perplexes me... to wikipedia! "The internet says I need to get you Coral." "The internet also says you need valium and that you're the 1 millionth visitor of multiple websites..." "Good point."

Ugg boots are cool! OH! There's an idea for a gift! (Girlfriends birthday in a month) Thankyou Cat-dog lady! Congrats on 35 years of being married :)

Unknown said...

Congratulations! did you know that you can buy coral beads? If you are into making your own jewellery (maybe you could fit it in in between the renos). Let me know if you would like some and I will send them to you (or i could make some up in ear rings)
best wishes
birgitta

Michele said...

Hey Bilby. We had 2 kids, 2 dogs and 7 cats all at the same time and just divided them up between the 14 houses :)
Birgitta, I hadn't thought of coral beads. Next time we're in Perth I might drop into The Gypsy Bead (have you been there - it's like an Aladdin's cave for the bead-fixated).

Bead Fixator said...

Congrats on the 35 years, very sad about the kitchen, I must admit I'd never thought about the pubes thingy, ergh, I will never look at my kitchen in the same way again! Good idea about the uggs. But now to the important bit, where is the Gypsy Bead shop? Please tell me, I have to know and cannot find it on the white pages, help me please, my life will not be complete until I have visted all bead shops in Perth (and country areas where feasible).

Cheers
V

Michele said...

V, the Gypsy Bead used to be in Angove St, North Perth - just a couple of blocks from where we used to live. I've just googled it and it's closed down. They're now selling beads through their website: http://www.ellenybeads.com.au/

Bead Fixator said...

Thank you for that, I'll check it out ... oh my, I think I'm in (cyber) heaven. What a very sad sort I am. V

Rhonda said...

35 years + the time at high school when you guys were attached at the hip ;-) I reckon that makes some 40+ years together.

Beads: There's a great bead shop in Balingup if you're going through there. It's on a side street off the main road, so look for the sign.

Eleanor said...

There is a terrific bead shop just outside Nornalup on the Denmark/Albany side - all sorts of beads including retro (no silver pubes). I used to go to the Gypsy Bead shop when I lived in Perth but now that I live in Walpole I go to Jane at the Bead shop as mentioned. You'd have to check for opening times because these do vary.

Congrats on your 35th anniversary.

Unknown said...

more on beads, i found on the web broomebeads.com they have a shop in margaret river as well as the one in broome.