Thursday, April 2, 2009

Word of the Week: Ovenable


How good is this? It was sent to me last year by Diana Lea, who found it in some Coles junk mail that had been stuffed in her letter box.
The possibilities this word opens up are endless - we could start a whole new language of "ables".
I'd like to get the ball rolling with girlable, adapted from the everyday scenario where a male says, "I can't find my keys/sunnies/specs/wallet" and the female says, "Go back and have a girl's look."
Girlable would describe any task that had to be done properly from the get-go.
As in, "Mate, we've got another girlable job coming up this afternoon, I'd better give you a hand."
Whaddaya reckon?

4 comments:

Bilby P. Dalgyte said...

Girlable. Done correctly from the get-go but takes about three hours and must involving doing ones hair at least once during the task?

The list of things we can't find is often much longer than that you know...(ha!)

Anonymous said...

Ovenable... hilarious! I'll keep my eye out for more. Kate xx

Anonymous said...

Coincidence. The day I real this story, our dog had pinched a mouse from our mog, and taken it outside and released it on the lawn. When I was telling my husband about it, he asked it it was dead, so I said, "No, it was walkable". Heaven knows where that came from, but I spun out when I read your bit later that day.
Suzanne

Michele said...

Walkable is good. I'm also thinking fartable. This is because the dog is lying across my feet as I type this.