Friday, March 20, 2009

Does my bum look radiant in this?


Back on the subject of make-up, I had a gift voucher burning a hole in my pocket and decided to splurge on some YSL Touche Eclat concealer. I did this because I wanted to optimise my radiance, having read in an ad that Touche Eclat does just that.
Even though, deep down, I've known for some time that my radiance could do with some help, I haven't bought Touche Eclat before now because it costs $78. Which makes me feel a bit faint, especially as you can get perfectly serviceable Maybelline under-eye concealer for 14 bucks.
But then, Maybelline under-eye concealer doesn't cure cancer, boost your libido or give 99 per cent of its profits to Oxfam's goat-gifting scheme.
Neither does Touche Eclat but according to all reports it's still brilliant.
I know this because I've read dozens of reviews of the product on the internet and I honestly haven't seen so many exclamation marks in my life as I have in the descriptions of Touche Eclat.
So, seeing as I had 40 bucks left on the gift voucher - meaning I only had to part with $38 of my own money - I bit the bullet and decided to banish dark shadows forever.
The girl at the YSL make-up counter told me that for Touche Eclat to be totally effective, I needed to apply some white stuff (the name of which I can't remember) to the under-eye area first and it only cost $100, would I like some of that too?
Thinking "Why break the habit of a lifetime?" I said I'd rather be partially effective but she still applied both products anyway.
And the difference was really quite scary in that I looked like a 50-something head with a 30-something under-eye radiance thing going on.
So I bought the Touche Eclat. At my age you take what you can get. And if that means being scary, radiant and partially effective, then so be it.

3 comments:

Bilby P. Dalgyte said...

Scary as in scary to small children? Because that'd be pretty cool...

... no other input. Just cool.

Davinia said...

Since I left my office job I haven't worn makeup for 5 months. It's a very liberating and money saving thing to do. But a bit disconcerting when you look in the mirror and see exactly what 55+ looks like in the raw. Don't go there!

Anonymous said...

I get frightened just by looking at the age of the cosmetic counter sales people, they look like Barbie dolls.
SueR