Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Word of the Week: Drack

Drack means unattractive, yuk, not very nice - which is great because I'm so over "hideous".
Truth be told, I'm so over "so over" but seeing as, phrase-wise, it's everywhere, I suspect that like disco music, big hair and the cabbage soup diet, we'll just have to wait for everyone to realise how stupid it is and move on.
What I'd like to see in the meantime is a "drack" revival. It's a word I haven't heard since I was a teenager and if you ask me it leaves hideous for dead.
For a start it's quantifiable: a bit drack (Explorer socks), pretty drack (exposed bum-crack, or plumber's cleavage as Lynda next door calls it), really drack (Paris Hilton).
Describing something as "a bit hideous" just doesn't work.
After a quick look on the net I've found that drack was probably derived from the 1936 film, Dracula's Daughter - so it's an oldie but a goodie.
And the idea of a Drack Pack attacking the Hideous Brigade really apeals.

7 comments:

Bilby P. Dalgyte said...

Betwixt is a cool word no one uses. No one says Drongo anymore. It's quite unfortunate! Our language is constantly changing and leaving the old words behind... oh well.

On a completely reverse note: I want people to start using the word "Awesowonderilliant." I really want to coin that word one day.

Rock on :)

Michele said...

Bilby, coin away, everyone else does. I actually know someone who says drongo (and dill and nong). I suspect that one day there'll be a revival of all these words because people will have become so sick of Americanisms. All we have to do is think of a way to make them sound cool.

Anonymous said...

Michele, I use drongo and dill as part of my everyday language. Maybe it is people of an advancing age that use these terms, certainly people from the country do.

My children (all adults now) refered to the pretty drack example as being able to see his money box.

Richie xx

KathyS said...

We used drack in the 50s when I was a teenager in Melbourne. It came from "a drack sack with a drape shape and a crook look". Or it did then.

Kathy

Anonymous said...

"so over", "at the end of the day" and starting a sentance with "no, yes...." all my pet hates. I have started using verandah instead of patio......what is more Australian than sitting on the verandah with a nice cold drink (of any type) at the end of the day just taking in the serenity. Bliss! Can't read Michele while on the verandah with a coffee anymore - I had better buy a laptop computer and change that. Look forward to your posts! Keep 'em coming.

Anonymous said...

Drack is great, what about luscious. We used it to describe almost anything from movies and filmstars, to the latest clothing, hairstyles, guys and friends

Anonymous said...

Drack is a great word! Almost as good as rammifications... or vile. Great blog! Kate xx